13.1.12

Hang In There Beautiful!


I know I'm not the only crafter out there who's heard about the wonders of chalk paint though I might be one of them who's a bit behind in trying it. I first read about it over at Miss Mustard Seed while drooling over her gorgeous creations and now I'm seeing blog posts pop up about making your own. Crazy. Anyway, I have a neighbor who has some great distressed pieces of furniture and I had told her about the paint a while back and don't you know that a couple of weeks ago I was at her house and she'd redone a gorgeous cabinet with it going from black to a French blue and it looked terrific!

She used the Annie Sloan brand of paint which seems to be fairly popular and I found a store that carries it just up the street from me ~ woo hoo! So I hooked myself up with a sample pot of a color called Provence and a tin of the dark wax (thought I bought the clear...oh well).




And what do I choose as my first piece to distress? The very humble though ever resourceful....clothes hanger. Silly, I know, but I was totally inspired by this photo from Pinterest which originated from a blog called Finally White.




I love the sturdiness of wooden hangers and it's mostly what I use for the clothes in our closet and I happened to have some extras to play around with. The first three I made were done with acrylic paint; an ivory base topped with lilac, and it was a pretty straight forward process.






I lightly sanded the hanger first then put on two coats of ivory paint, let it dry, then two coats of lilac paint



Used a sanding block for this and there's no right or wrong way to the distressing. I just wanted to be sure to see some of the ivory and some of the wood.



I used individual clear stamps that get put onto a clear acrylic block and I had to be sure to put them on backwards since I flipped it over to stamp the word. Then I let the ink dry before I rubbed in a light coat of the dark wax so that the letters wouldn't bleed.



I'm soooo happy with the finished product! And I love the idea of finding a fun little word on my hanger when I'm getting ready for the day. Frou Frou indeed!


Pin It


24 comments:

  1. As usual, you've taken a product that inspires you and put your own creative spin on it so that it's uniquely, beautifully YOU! It's fun to see the process unfold.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. can't wait for you to see these lovey!

      Delete
  2. No really...I really really really love these. Can I copy, please! i will give you all the credit, but I HAVE to have them for myself:)I would love for you to come link up at my party going on now through Sunday night!
    http://kim-toomuchtimeonmyhands.blogspot.com/2012/01/get-schooled-saturday-6-and-e-book.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks for the love, kim. they are super fun and even better in person. feel free to make some for yourself and thanks for the invitation and the pin :) i've linked up.

      Delete
  3. These are GORGEOUS!! And they would make such a special gift too! Thanks for link up @ Find Your Craft Friday!! Have a fabulous Sunday! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks emily! and you're right...they would make a really special gift; easy to personalize with color and text. hope you give them a try.

      Delete
  4. I wouldn't have thought to do hangers, but those are way cool! I love them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I LOVE these! I'm curious about your stamps - you could use this look on so many things. Where did you get them, or are you a make-your-own mama?

    Adrianne
    www.happyhourprojects.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. glad you like them, adrienne. i've had these stamps for quite a while so, i'm so sorry, i can't tell you where i got them because i just can't remember. i know that many craft shops carry the clear stamps and you can totally find them on ebay and etsy.

      Delete
  6. what a wonderful FIRST project - I know I wanna get some too but starting small is so smart!

    http://northerncottage.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh girl...once you start small you're goning want to go big! i'm already eyeing my front door and dining room table!!! i think i like the waxes best of all - fun looks.

      Delete
  7. I LOVE these! The stamps are genius! Great job :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. glad you like them, erin. thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  8. They are beautiful! I never thought I'd drool of clothes hanger lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i'm right there with you, melissa! thanks so much!

      Delete
  9. These are super duper cute! hugs from Savannah, Cherry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks so super much, cherry! hope you give them a try.

      Delete
  10. These are beautiful, Annalea! Thank you for sharing with {air your laundry} Friday! xo Jami

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks so much, jami! so so love your site ~ you're one talented lady!

      Delete
  11. This is such a fun project! Hopped over from Coastal Charm...I am a new follower and following on Pinterest, too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your hangers turned out beautifully, Annalea! I painted some a while ago and stamped them with French script. It was a fun little project, wasn't it? Great job!

    xoxo laurie

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails