30.9.10

Fabulous Flower Magnets


I've finally gotten on the fabric flower bandwagon. I don't know why it's taken me so long - guess I thought they'd be too involved and they really aren't. I found a great tutorial here then started tearing and twisting and gluing (used dabs of Fabri-tac for this) and before I knew it, I had my own little garden of loveliness.

But then I didn't know what to do with them then....I remembered some plain magnets I'd gotten from the $1 bin at Michael's a while back (same day I bought the coasters) and thought I'd upcycle those using the flowers.

I covered both sides with paper so looked at my flowers and then chose accordingly (the paper on the far right).

Traced the magnet onto the back of the paper ~ yeah...just enough!

Got out glue (nothing special here) and a sanding block...


Glued on the paper, let it dry for about 10 minutes then sanded and inked the edges on both sides.


I chose one of the white flowers I made to top this magnet and glued it (used Liquid Fusion, one of my new favorite adhesives) down along with a dark grayish/purple pearl in the center. When it was mostly dry, I varnished the edges and sprinkled a bit of clear glitter around the exposed background.


I'm really happy with the way they turned out and they're substantial which I like too. While these did stick to my refrigerator, I went ahead and added a few super strong magnets to the back. Why not, right? Plus, I get really bugged when my magnets fall off the fridge or only hold one flimsy sheet of paper. Not these babies!

Cute hostess gift and excellent for teacher appreciation week or for a friend who needs a bit of a 'pic-me-up'.

5 comments:

  1. No way! Using the flowers as a magnet is a great idea. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Found your blog through links. Love it!
    If you would ever like to be featured on envymycooking than come check us out. All we ask is that you become a follower than email us either a recipe, a find, or a picture of your kitchen. We hope that you will let us feature you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My kinda magnets! I need big ones to hide the ginormous dent on the side of my fridge (it was a heck of a deal!)

    If you get a chance, I'd love for you to link to this on Not "Baaad" Sundays with LambAround!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's so crazy, I just made the same thing a few days ago. I love how they look. I made them for my daughter's metal board that she hands up all her work on. Yours are very cute!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails